Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Yeah. Or Memory

I'm new to this death thing, having being fortunate enough to have all my family members and close people 'intact', so forgive me if I mourn a little. Tell me how to deal with it, though.

Tell me how you would feel if you were miles away from your dead grandfather, David Chee, in a foriegn country in a place you hate. Tell me. Please. Do.

I'm happy, though I got to say my goodbyes. I visited him before I left for this hellhole with my dad, stepmum and my half-bro, Evan (Kim had some appointment, she cancelled what would have been her last moment with her grandfather to do some project in Coffee Bean). My grandparents live next door to my cuzins, so we went to my cuzins house for dinner, and after that I went over to see my grandad.

He was in a fragile condition. He couldn't even cough out his own phlegm, there was a device on the bedside table for that. He looked like a skeleton; His legs were thin an you could see where the skin was sticking to the bones. Two weeks prior to this, we visited and he could remember my name and my birthday. But, this...

So it was planned for me and my sister to play the piano for him, but because we couldn't bring a piano into his room, I played the guitar for him instead. We sang When You Say Nothing At All, which was because my dad new the chorus and because I'm familiar with the chords (Teacher's Day All Saints). We then sang Silent Night as the rain fell gently down outside. Not so Silent, but hey. It's another song I can play.

And knowing it would probably be one of the last times I would ever see my ancient father's father, I said goodbye, truly and properly.

I know his death will not be as publicised as Micheal Jackson's death, and important people will probably not say come to his funeral to say good things about him. But hey. David Chee was a man who survived the Japanese invasion, worked for a priest in the church, helped in errands for the church, went to Labuan, met my Grandmother in a hospital there, and from there my father came into being and eventually me. It's not as impressive as being accused of being a pedophile, or changing your skin colour.

He doesn't need all that to be my grandfather.

Let me weep alone.

3 comments:

Joshua said...

My condolences. Sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

my condolences nigel.

jamie said...

aww, nigie. *hugs* God Bless. :) anyway, DONT KILL PETERRRRRRR!!!!!. MY POSTS ARENT STUPIDDDLY FUNAAY. boh.