Sunday, July 12, 2009

Surreal 72, or Anyone of Us

Hour 1-2

Was probably playing Kingdom Hearts 358 over 2 days.

Hour 7-15

Was at school. Didn't do anything of much importance. At the end of school I went to see Fanny Tan to tell her I was leaving tonight. She and Chia Bee Tek gave condolences and stuff. Yeah.

Hour 15-17

Went to Funan. While walking across the street (typical jaywalking Malaysian, me) I almost got ran over by a motorcycle, which I thought would never happen. But it almost did. Bought speakers, a new headset and duo adapter for Nick. Ate Mc Donalds at Funan, then went back to the hostel.

Hour 17-18

Arrived back. Started packing and sorting my belongings out. Dad told me to wear long white sleeve shirt and black pants for the funeral, so I packed both of those in. Took a shower and got ready to go.

Hour 18

Went to wait at the bus stop. Suddenly remembered I forgot something, so went back to the room to get the thing. Left my luggage at the security post so I didn't have to drag it all the way back to the room. When I went back to collect him, the security guard started a conversation with me. Asked me how I got into the school. I told him the process, and he started talking about religion. Said he was a free thinker, and he knew a lot about religion. When he went to the some community work in Thailand or something, somebody asked him what race he was. He answered "Human Race". Interesting answer, because we're all the same really, same blood. He said, "I can be any race I want! I represent all the races! I can be Indian, Caucasian, Chinese (he was Chinese)..." Interesting theory. 

Hour 18-20

I got onto the MRT on to head to the airport. On the way, the MRT stopped in the middle of a tunnel and uttered the words, "Tiong Bahru. Please mind the platform gap." Some people laughed, and alot of us went "What?" The intercom went of and informed there was a line problem up at Bugis station. Whatevs, right? 
It happened again. And again.

I arrived at the airport at 7.50. My flight was at 8.20 at the budget terminal, and that meant I had to get a bus to the budget terminal from Terminal two. I waited for awhile, but the lousy bus didn't come. I called mum, and she advised me to ditch the flight and try and buy the flight at 8.50 from AirAsia. Ran to the Skytrain, and it just left. I had to wait AGAIN and got on. When I went to the Airasia booking counter I waited for AGES, and the line didn't move because some genius with a blackberry was taking his sweet time doing God knows what.

When I finally reached my turn (some nice guy let me go in front), they informed me that they stop selling tickets 45 mins before the flight. I pleaded but they didn't sway. I proceeded to just sit there at the airport in despair. Felt miserable and like crying. I was going to miss my Grandfather's funeral the next morning. Never had I missed a flight before, and this was probably the most important one so far. My granpa's funeral was a t 9.00 in the morning.
After considering many options (Fly to Kl- KK, Fly from SG-KK) I went back to Godma's house, feeling like the most unfortunate guy on earth.

Hour 21-24

After searching ONCE, found a flight from JB to KK at 7.10 in the morning, arrives at 9.30. I would be a little late, but at least I would still be there. Since it was less then 24 hours before the flight, I couldn't book it online, and would have to go directly to JB and purchase it. Godma asked her friend in AirAsia marketing to help her out. She directed Godma to another guy who actually allowed Godma to charge the ticket to her Credit Card, so in the end I WAS allowed to book it online, sorta. Watched Death Note abit then went to sleep.

Hour 27-31

Woke up at 3. Godma's brother said he would send me to JB. Thank God for him. Finally took off my contact lenses (Godma's house had no solution or eyedrops... Sad) when Ling (Godma's niece) brought back eyedrops at 3. Left the house at 3.30. Most of the way it was quite deserted (it WAS early) and passed customs with ease. At Senai airport in JB, waited till the counters were opened. Play KH for awhile until it opened. I was the second to check in but I got row 31 (the last row). *sigh. Waited again till the gate opened and quickly boarded the plane. Never before been so happy to sit in a plane. Then some lousy lady (had a Chinese surname but a Muslim first name) apparently didn't have her luggage because her child didn't come, and I didn't know what was going on, but the flight was delayed for another 15-20 mins. Usually I would be, whatever, but I NEEDED THIS FLIGHT TO HURRY UP AND GO. When the plane took off, I fell asleep on and off the flight, was exhausted.

Hour 33

Touched down in KK. Since was in the last row, my heart sank so low, as I would be one of the last to go through immigrations. THANK GOD they opened the back of the plane, so I managed to make off quickly, passed through immigrations with no one in line, ran to the car (had no check in luggage) and changed in to Funeral clothes.

Hour 33-34

Arrived at Stella Marris. Couldn't see where the family was sitting, so searched for them for awhile while the father was speaking. Saw Evan with kakak, so went to them. Saw mom and sat down to wear my contacts again. I only missed the sermon (which mom asked him to preach for abit longer so I wouldn't miss much. The paying of the last respects came, where everyone when slowly to say their goodbyes to my grandad. Those of us with the cloth pinned to our shirts, that is, relatives, went first. Then everyone else went. We dropped flowers into his coffin. But what saddened me most was that even the maids of all the cousins family's were also weeping and breaking down. That was sad. Then me and the rest of the immediate family went to the coffin as they did the final drilling. We said our final goodbye to our grandfather/father/father-in-law, David Chee. Evan didn't understand what was going on, so when dad asked him to say goodbye to Gpa, he said, 'Buh Bye, Kung Kung." I cried again.

Hour 34- 37

We scooted on over to the Foo Look Siew funeral place, where a large number of our family was buried. Over there everyone's mood lightened up a bit where we just talked about random things for awhile with the cousins. Everyone obviously asked me where I went, how I missed my flight, and I malas wanna go tell them so I'm blogging about it now. They then cemented Kung Kung inside, and we burned our candles for him and took off the cloths pinned to our clothes and placed it for him there in atop the tomb. After that, everyone was about to leave. I stayed behind for awhile and talked to Kung Kung. I told him I made it back, I told him goodbye. I hope he's doing well.

We went for lunch at Wong Kok restaurant, all of us. After that, we went back to Poh Poh's house where we had to wash our face and hands with Pamelo water, then we combed our hair three times. It's some sort of tradition, which mum was watching with disapproval, but hey, it's tradition, right? After some useless banter we left.

Hour 38-42

Went to Asia City for a haircut which was due for awhile. After that went to pick Kim and Kah Mun from from CP (yeah, apparently Kah Mun's back. She was at the funeral, but I didn't recognize her at first, but yeah). Then we went to Wisma Merdeka so I could get my facial done. You can imagine I was so tired that I actually fell asleep in the facial. After that, me and Kimbo went home and got ready because at 7 oclock had to go to Poh Poh's house for the praying for 7 nights for Kung Kung's passing. Tried to get a bit of sleep, but didn't.

Hour 43-46

At the house, the cousins sat at the staircase (I nicknamed us "The Stairway Club"). At they prayed for ages, doing the Hail Mary God knows how many times, and yeah. I just kinda sat there. Then when it finished, we all ate kuih and just talked abit lah. Then I went home to sleep because...

Hour 54-63

Today was Bazaar day at SM All Saints. Went with Kim to school at 6.30, then had breakfast with dad. Aaron Mah saw me first, so there goes big surprise. But hey, in the end I did get my surprise on. I got the glance of confusion look from so many people. Jho hugged me, then we went to the 4A stall, which was opposite the 3A stall. When I got there, they all shouted my name, and Elf hit me cos I pretended I wasn't coming home XD Then I went around saying hi to everyone else, hugged more people, surprised alot of people, spent money, and did minor catching up. Major highlits:
- Convinced Farid to let me throw a pie at his face. Didn't kena, but hey, a bit splashed his face.
- Threw balloons of paint at Luiz
-Played Tap Tap Revenge with my awesome new speakers
- Dad came and brought Evan, some people saw him for the first time
Yeah, then it rained pretty hard, then to the close of the Bazaar the free stuff give away/ insane discount sale went on, but by that time I spent my coupons already. Walked around with Nise abit, then we just went back to the 4A stall to take pics with everyone.

Hour 63-67

Went home with Kim and Kah Mun who had also turned up. While Kimbo did who knows what, me and Kah Mun talked alot. I told her about my predicament in Singapore, and I guess she does understand a tad bit.

Showered and got ready, cos dad was taking us out for dinner.

Hour 67-68

Had dinner at some place where they serve western, but it's like a coffee shop. It's called Archie's, I think? Forgot what that area's called, but I'm definitely going back again. Evan also apparently has his own portable DVD player, because he can't eat without some form of distraction. I know this to be true, because went we went with him to @tmosphere, A. Joyce had to let him watch random videos on her handphone while she fed him porridge.

Hour 68-69

Went to Poh Poh's house again for the prayer thingy. Luckily had Kimbo there, so had someone to talk to.

Hour 69-70

Went to church to surprise everyone at youth. I'm doing this surprising thing a lot. A lot of them were inside for the briefing on their interior mission trip.

Hour 70-71

Went to Damai for supper. Sadly, Eklektos wasn't there this time. They were at Salim or something like that. Yeah. Didn't have that much of a supper, wasn't in a very good mood.

Hour 71-72

Went to bed a bit early. That night I did some serious thinking. I really hated my life in Singapore, that was certain now. It destroyed many things that I worked so hard to establish here in Sabah. Everyone assumes I want to return because of my friends and whatnot, and they always say "They're going to leave in a few years anyway." Hello, I'm not that shallow. And I'd rather spend what's left of my destroyed childhood with them then here. 


My 72 hours past were the most weary for me, mentally and physically. I barely got any sleep, and the events that whizzed on by did nothing to help me stay awake. 

Now, I'm back here again. But I want to leave so bad. 

I don't know what this situation is going to drive me to do. Desperation knows no bounds.
And believe, I'm THIS close to being quite absolutely desperate.


No comments: