Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It Hasn't Even Begun, or I So Hate Consequences

I realised that ever since I came to Singapore, most of my emotions have been neutralised, and now it becomes evident that I don't feel almost anything anymore. Even when I smile, it fades after a while. Even if I'm nervous, or upset, it walks away from me. Even when the pressure closes in on me, I shrug it off and wear something else.

That's why the looming exams are a sure threat, but I'm not one to feel threatened. Because, well, I can't. Singapore has made me cold, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing much I can care for properly without forgetting, get distracted from or continue to obsess over. (EXCEPT POKEMON!!!) (But even that get boring. After a while.)

No, but that's not what this post is about. It's about this H1N1 virus, or what is commonly referred to as Swine Flu. Now, I'm not in anyway saying it isn't a serious matter. It is. If this freakish khinzir thing spreads to Singapore, or even Malaysia, that means that MOE (Ministry of Education) WON'T LET ME COME HOME. So it's no joke. 

What I'm saying is that this country is so obsessed with safety (maybe not the country, but the ruling class) (and those snobs in all the Ministries) that now for this 'danger' period, I have to take my temperature 4 times a day (I take it a few more times for fun) and record it down on two separate pieces of paper. I remember back in Sabah, when we heard about SARS, we were still running around and playing and getting ourselves dirty. Now, it's not because we were kids or something. It's because we're not paranoid. And quarantines can sometimes be really unpleasing things. I recall again the SARS period where my grandmother went to China and when she came back to KL, the wouldn't let her go near anyone, and so she had to celebrate my cousin's birthday standing outside the house.

But the 'kiasu' nature of this freakish place is evident. I went to the bookstore the other day (20% off storewide!!!) and I saw this loud and abrasive pregnant lady wearing a face mask. She was shouting at her husband (we all had no idea what she was saying). Now, being Malaysian, I of course looked at her with disdain, and so were the other customers, but in their hearts I bet they were saying, "Why didn't we think of that? Let's stock up on cup noodles so we don't ever have to leave our house."

There hasn't been a single case in Singapore! It has only been REPORTED to have reached Thailand! The death toll hasn't even reached a thousand! Just go back to playing in the mud, staying up late and not drinking water so you can all work yourselves to death earning wages to get a better paying job which might not even come in the first place!!!



I have exams tomorrow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

check temp 4 times! O.O tat is paranoid. haha. all the best in exams!

Darian said...

swine flu only mah. scared what. human flu more frequent than that yet no one paranoid. how ironic

Denise said...

My goodness.

Nijiru said...

Thx Josh...
I KNOW. Only today they announced that 'OH, by the way, the danger level has gone down(?) so u only have to take ur temperatures twice a day now!' YAY.

Unknown said...

Nah, that's so inconvenient. Take temperatures twice a day? OMG.
Don't worry, I think it'll finally go down, then you can come home :)