Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Had You Any Doubt?, or I Can Do Better

If I haven't mentioned before, my roommate Swapnil is A Genius (notice Capitalized letters). He's like in this Mathematics Challenge club in school, and usually everyday after school he comes back later than Ryan and I because he goes to study in the Library. Even NOW, after exams, NOW, as in at this moment, he's surfing the web for some chemical equations. 

So a week ago, he was doing some previous year Mathematics Olympiad crap and me and Kai Shin were bored, so we went to take a look. He showed us this question:
That's question number 4.
He said, "Oh, if you can solve this, I will say you are very smart".
Huh. I'll show him.
So I solved it using my amazing ratio skills! (Those if you in 2 Amanah will remember)
Assuming 1:2:3 = 180, means that 1= 180/1+2+3,= 180/6 =30
That means, since
Pythagorus theorem is  a^2+b^2=c^2
Simple enough, the answer is obviously B, cos 1 + 3=4

I wish I could have taken a picture of Swapnil's face after that. Seriously.
So I took a video instead.


Apparently there's some geometrical solution to it, but Swapnil said my way is much easier to understand.

Using my awesome skills of ratio (and guesswork) I proceeded to solve a few more questions for him.

Ah, who's awesome?

6 comments:

M said...

lol....i remeber your unbelievable ratio skills in form 2! you made the rest of us look dumb....=.=

Nijiru said...

Hehehe. At least someone acknowledges my intellect *bows

Unknown said...

Well.. after reading the question, I write my work down, and it takes a paper! LOL. Then I see yours, and....*totally knocked down*
See, I said that you are smart! :P

almatari said...

i told you you were smart..! >< lol.

JoShUa Ho said...

Ahhh. The ever humble Nigel. You haven't change :D

Unknown said...

hmmm...ratio...i remember i thought u tat in form 1 but now...ur doin better than the rest of us...