Sunday, April 18, 2010

Legendary, or Lullabies

One word of advice, before I start.

GET ENOUGH REST BEFORE MISSION TRIPS

Okay, now! It begins! The tale of Dandun, Pitas.

Slept at 1am, forgetting that I would have to wake up at 4.30 to pack.

So I did wake up at 5 (haha slept woot!) to pack, albeit hurriedly, but I packed everything, nothing was forgotten, so there!

Set off to go McDonalds/Shell, where we were all meeting to depart as a convoy.

Went with Melvyn, who was driving Ps. Philip's car. I know, awesome right? WRONG. That car has minimal pickup. Heck, there were Kias speeding past us at times.

Was a bumpy ride when we went off road, we got lost a total of TWO times, which set us off schedule of course. Raining pretty heavily.

Started unloading everything off the cars in to the hall: medicine, towels, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, brooms, tables; the like. This wasn't a regular mission trip: This was a medical trip, where we work together with the government to provide treatment for the interior dudes.

Set up consisted of preparing stations:
Registration>Height and Weight>Temperature>Blood Pressure/Deworming>Doctors>Medicine Collection>Goodies

So what was my job? I took pictures and helped out wherever I could. Pictures later.

After that went to the suspension bridge.

After THAT, went to play in the river. That was FUN, playing with the little kids there, splashing water everywhere. I think they love me.

Shower up, dinner.

Went to watch MU vs ManC. EPIC game... Last goal was so... Epic.

After that, went to eat porridge with Rachel Lee. Stayed up with her and random people till like 4.15. I blame her, it's mostly her fault.

Woke up at 7.15. Walk around like zombie awhile.

9.30 went to church.

Halfway through church, though, I was suddenly called to act for the children in a separate building. We did the prodigal son, and guess who that was? Me.

Went to set up Medical Centre one last time, then it was just helping out with the medical side of things again.

Left there at 4 smth and arrived back at 7.30. Woo.

Had dinner with mum, Kimbo and Melvyn.



That was pretty simple and straight forward. And that was just what happened.

Overall, the experience was amazing for me. As tired as I am (believe me, I'm dead tired. Do the math, and you'll see that I slept for an amazing total of about 7 hours in 2 days), I have to write down what happened while it is fresh in my mind.

I gave away to caps to two children there. Those actions, of course, garnered me a lot of attention from children bugging me for caps and candy, which I carried around at most times. It's a good way to communicate and make them do things.

Mum brought up two Canon Selphy printers, where we printed photos as my mother took them, put them in photo frames and gave them to the people. This was another good way to make them sit down and not run around (parents and children included), because it was pretty much chaos in that place. They were generally quite happy to receive pictures of themselves, though it did cause a bit of problem, which shall not be elaborated on.

The river was fun. Children were playing in the river butt naked, boys and girls together, and even when two sisters almost drowned, their friends swam in to help them and continued playing. Only me and Aunty Jenny dared to go into the water; everyone else just stood at the riverside and watched us. All I said was," You don't get to do this everyday."

I won't bother commenting on the football game.

The real fun begins at 10.30. The majority of 10.30pm-4.15 am the next day was spent at what me and Rachel-

Okay, pause a moment. I made a new friend, Rachel Lee. It's not true to say that I didn't know her before. I mean, we went to the same church and all, but we barely talked to each other at all. We both somehow clicked, being around the same age (her a year older than me), and at the camp we just hanged around a lot doing tasks together. In a way I'm glad that I got to know somebody that was around, but I never knew. Our families our kinda simliar and all too, but never mind, back to the story.

-referred to as 'Harry's Place'. Uncle Harry was my mum's friend who she invited to go in this trip because he's a super safari guy. He has a meanass car, and meanass camping gear to go with it. He had a box full to the brim with different types of instant noodles, a water boiler (camping style, no current needed), and all sorts of stuff.

Anyway, Harry's Place was where me, Rachel, Harry and two friends, plus two doctors for awhile gathered, along with the night-watch people. In the end, when everyone fell asleep, it was sorta just me, Rachel and Uncle Harry, and the night-watch for the hour (they took turns- Josh Siaw and somebody, Alvin and somebody, Eric Foo and somebody, Etc). Me and Rachel talked endlessly, made it rain on each other, looked at the beautiful night sky, made Ipoh White Coffee, while all the while talking with the night watch people and Darrell, and eating chicken ginseng porridge made by Uncle Jeffery. It was an epic night, and the memories are still there, but I can't be bothered to write it all.

I am EXHAUSTED. And I have an Oral test for my O levels tomorrow. Should I upload pictures? Nah they're on Facebook.

Now was it Legendary? The best part, though?

It brought me back to me and you, Ri. Funny, ain't it? It's where it all began.

Go again? Sign me up!

No comments: